To continue its mission of promoting mutual understanding between the people of the United States and Thailand through educational exchange, which has been successfully implemented throughout the past five decades, the Thailand‑ United States Educational Foundation (TUSEF), also commonly known as “Fulbright”, announces its annual competition for OPEN COMPETITION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM to qualified Thai individuals for a graduate study in the United States of America for the academic year 2013.
As a “Fulbrighter” confers instant recognition of the fact that the individual has been chosen through a rigorous internationally recognized competition based on individual merit and a transparent selection process. This has been true since the Program’s inception and its reputation instantly identifies grantees as members of a worldwide community of scholars all selected on the same basis and sharing the same goal of promoting mutual understanding of Thailand and the United States of America.
Awards will be offered in a broad variety of fields with the exception of medicine, public health, nursing and allied subjects.
Up to nine grants will be available for Master’s degree candidates who will commence their studies in the academic year 2013. Out of these grants, one will be allocated specifically for a successful candidate who is from a provincial school and from a low-income family. This candidate will get full funding, from the Foundation and other sources. Grants are normally for one academic year. Grantees who require more than one year to complete the master’s degree are expected to find support from other sources for their study program in the United States beyond the initial year. However, renewal of the grants will be considered on a case by case basis.
Grants are intended to cover costs of tuition and fees, books and educational supplies, maintenance allowance, insurance coverage and round-trip international travel expenses from Thailand to the United States. Some of the grants may be combined with tuition waivers or other financial aid from appropriate institutions.
Deadline for application submission is April 11, 2012. No extensions of deadline will be granted in any circumstances.
An applicant must:
1) be a Thai citizen in good health (Individuals holding U.S. immigrant visas or permanent U.S. resident cards (green cards), or dual (Thai and U.S.) citizenships are not eligible for Fulbright scholarships);
2) have completed all requirements for a bachelor's degree from a Thai university at the time of application (Applicants with work experience are encouraged to apply);
3) have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or equivalent on transcripts of academic performance;
4) have a valid TOEFL score (iBT score of at least 80, or computer-based TOEFL score of at least 213,
or paper-based TOEFL score of 550 or above) on a test taken between March 2010 and February 2012 would be strongly recommended;
5) Be in Thailand for the interview; and
6) plan to commence their studies in the U.S. in the academic year 2013, and that” Students who are already studied in the United States are normally ineligible to apply.”
1) From January 2, 2012, an application form can be downloaded from TUSEF website:
2) The application set must be accompanied by:
a) a completed 4-page application form and 3 photocopies of the original application;
b) 4 photocopies of official and completed university transcript(s) for all years of undergraduate study;
(**Due to the flooding and academic calendar extension, applicants can present an unofficial current transcript together with the university letter of graduation anticipation. However, you have to present an official transcript on or before an interview date (July 9-10, 2012) if you are invited**).
c) 4 photocopies of official and eligible TOEFL score report
(printed score report from ETS website is
d) 4 photocopies of concise curriculum vitae (not to exceed 2 pages); and
d) 2 letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes
(The Fulbright recommendation forms A and B are strictly used.)
3) The completed application and supporting documents can be sent by mail or by hand
to the Foundation. They must reach the Foundation NO LATER THAN APRIL 11, 2012, or
postmarked on or before April 11, 2012 to be eligible for consideration. The Foundation is open
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
4) Further information can be obtained from the Foundation at tel. 0-2285-0581-2, in particular,
Mr. Chatchai (ฉัตรชัย)Ugsornsilp at ext. 106 or Ms.Cheewarat (ชีวรัตน์) Kaewsangkwan at ext. 107.
January 2 – April 11, 2012 Announcement of the Open Competition Scholarship Program
APRIL 11, 2012 DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF COMPLETED APPLICATION AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
Late April – May 2012 Pre-screening applications by the Binational Review Committee
Mid-June 2012 Announcement of the pre‑screening results
July 9-10, 2012 Final interview by the Binational Selection Committee
Mid-July 2012 Approval of successful candidates by TUSEF Board of Directors
Late July 2012 Announcement of successful candidates
August 1, 2012 Preliminary Orientation
August 2012 – May 2013 University Application and Placements
June 2013 Pre‑departure Orientation
July – August 2013 Departure of grantees
Note: Failure to submit a complete application causes applicants’ ineligibility.
It is important that grantees must meet all the requirements.